It has been much too long since my last update! There are several reasons for this, not least of which was going back to Ohio to visit family over the holiday weekend. With that said, it is great to be back and have some hobby progress to share with you. I hope it proves to be worth the wait!
First up, I finished painting another Hunter Orc on Fell Warg which brings me to four completed. I think this is the fastest one I have painted yet and I feel like I had a much better idea of how to paint orc skin by the end of this guy than I ever have before. With four done, it is daunting to think that I still have eight more of these plus 12 wargs without riders to paint to play all of the scenarios in An Unexpected Journey. That is definitely going to be a long term goal because I seem to need a month at minimum between painting each one.
I have made some terrain progress for Roast Mutton however. I managed to get my first two trees done but it was not without some incident. First of all, I used Woodland Scenics products to make these pine trees and I followed their guidelines for making them which was a big mistake. In particular, I used Hob-E-Tac as the glue which is amazingly tacky/sticky but it never fully dries! It also becomes completely worthless if it is wet. So humidity is a problem and so is applying a layer of watered down PVA which you do to make the foliage rock hard and really stuck to the plastic armature. So for the first tree, I started spraying it with Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement (watered down PVA) and all of the foliage falls off! I was shocked and frustrated. Since then, I stuck with PVA glue for the foliage and they’re coming out much better and in less time. These two trees are not likely to shed anytime soon and quite imposing. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t call these done yet as they need to be based. I think I’m going to order some MDF terrain bases from a place in England to save me the effort of having to do the MDF myself and because these trees are almost impossible to stand up without them being based. I would do that anyway as I think trees look best that way but I’m hoping that all the work will be worth it for Roast Mutton and any other times I use these trees. I’ll share some more pictures and progress when I get them fully done in a month or so. For now, I’m focused on getting as many of trees done as I can so they can fill up my table.
A couple of days ago, I started a non-MESBG painting project (Warhammer 40,000 to be specific) that is going to take up some of my time so I may post an update about that in the near future as I’d like to keep the content coming as best I can!